Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Meatless Monday and Tuesday

Our box contained lovely golden beets this week.  I have never cooked beets so I did a quick google search; roasting caught my attention because we also had Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, and a few yellow onions (from a previous delivery).

For dinner Monday night, I peeled and cut up all the root vegetables (3 beets, ~12 tiny potatoes, 3 carrots, 4 small yellow onions).  I drizzled with olive oil, a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with garlic salt (sadly, no fresh garlic on hand).  Then I cut a few sprigs of rosemary from the garden and tossed that in too.  I spread the veggies on two cookie sheets and put them in a 425 degree oven to roast for ~45 min.

While the veggies were roasting, I cooked up some Emmer faro (takes a good while- at least 40 min) and heated up some navy beans.

When all the goodies were done, I mixed the roasted veggies with the faro and served with a side of beans.  Also, we had crumbled goat cheese and feta cheese (the kids don't like goat cheese) for a topping.

Thank goodness we had plenty of leftovers, so we mixed the navy beans in with the faro/veggies and stored in the fridge.

Tuesday, we washed the baby spinach from the box and tossed all of it with the roasted veggie mix.  We added a handful of pecans and feta cheese, and tossed to coat with balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper).    That salad would have been enough, but one of the peaches was super ripe, so I also made a quick fruit salad- one peach, a few strawberries and grapes, and snow leopard melon.  Served both salads with a little bread and butter and it was a delightful meal that didn't seem like leftovers at all!

Last night we had burritos from a local place because we were joining preschool friends for an evening picnic and had no time to make anything...




No comments:

Post a Comment